eleeephant.





photos from Chobe National Park, Botswana. 

"You know ... they say an elephant never forgets.
What they don't tell you is, you never forget an elephant." 
Bill Murray  

The Chobe Region is home to the world's largest population of elephants. the WORLDS. I had the privilege of seeing these magnificent creatures in their natural habitat for the second time this year. And somehow, without warning, I was completely overwhelmed by their sheer grandeur, their delicate fan-like ears, their graceful and methodical movement across floodplains during the crossing of this small water channel. 

It is one thing to look at these animals from afar, but to get close enough to become part of such a deliberated decision is something else- enough to hear the sound of water being stomped under foot, to hear their trunks brush up against one another's thick skin, to hear the knocking of ivory tusks, to hear what seemed a snapping rubber band or the clapping of a tarp-like material when one shook their head from side to side. To be in a boat, no one saying a word, listening, watching, trying to understand why they refused to cross or what was taking so long filled my mind with wonder. After finally nudging one into the water deep enough, they aligned and did not deviate from that position. Some needed to be pushed along, but one never went around of in front of the other. 


So I wondered, in my decisions, in my day to day, do I stop long enough to hear another? to hear myself? to hear the voice of the One who holds all things together? What may seem an insignificant moment for one, is indeed not for another- but until I take that time to listen, to step in to another's world will I know for certain. And in my hurried state to move along to the next crossing, do I walk behind another in support if they fall? Am I willing to stand behind those leaders over me Do I stand in front of another to protect them because I care for them? Or is it all about me- I hope not. 


just a thought. 


1 comments:

Charissa said...

so lovely

Post a Comment